No-fuss meals have been a staple for our family so far this year. Pregnancy is wearing me out terribly this time around. I started getting contractions at 24 weeks. No not Braxton-hicks, the lovely kind, real painful. My midwife says that is my body and baby telling me I am doing too much. Just one of the reasons why I am opting for simple recipes for my family. I have been hunting for easy recipes that keep me off my feet as much as possible. This proved challenging because if I am going to spend the time to cook dinner, I really don’t want to compromise nutrition. If I can just go through Taco John’s drive thru and pickup up food in 10 minutes, why would I spend hours in the kitchen preparing something that isn’t any better for you? It just seems hard to find meals that are easy, not super time consuming, tasty, and healthy.
This casserole meets all my expectations and even has added bonuses. This dish is gluten-free, vegetarian, and uses coconut milk as it’s base. I love using coconut milk in casseroles instead of a condensed soup. You really don’t compromise any flavor by using the coconut milk , plus it just makes me feel better to know I am not putting all that condensed soup junk in my body. My kids love everything about this dish and they were begging for more. They love anything with black beans. We will definitely being having this a few more times before the baby comes, and I am sure many times after! Hopefully eating a few meals like this a week will make up for eating a lot of take-out tacos and Chinese during this pregnancy. Whoops.
- 1½ cup quinoa, dry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 oz can of corn, drained
- 3 medium-large bell peppers, diced (any color)
- 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed &drained
- ¾ cup plus ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup plus ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or Mexican
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 packet southwest taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook quinoa according to the package.
- Put cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet heat coconut oil. Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add corn, peppers, cayenne pepper, and half of the taco seasoning packet to the skillet and sauté for about 6 minutes, stirring just a couple times.
- Transfer skillet mixture to the mixing bowl with quinoa.
- Add black beans, ¾ cup cilantro, ¼ cup green onions, the cheese (save a little bit for topping), coconut milk, salt, and the rest of the taco seasoning to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 8×11 baking dish and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and then garnish with extra cilantro and green onions.
Recipe adapted from: ifoodreal