- 5 lbs russet potatoes, diced, NOT peeled
- 5 tablespoons TS garlic garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 64 ounces chicken broth or stock
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- bacon, sour cream, chives or shredded cheese for garnish
- Combine potatoes, garlic garlic, onions and chicken broth in your crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 5 hours.
- Purée soup in food processor with cream cheese.
- Serve warm topped with bacon, sour cream, shredded cheese & chives.
FINALLY a loaded baked potato soup recipe with NO heavy cream (except the cream cheese, but I used organic so I like to think that is a little better? no?) and even better, you can make in in the crock pot! I have to say this is the best recipe I have tried for loaded baked potato soup, and I have tried many. This recipe made enough for my family of 5 and two freezer meals for later. Keep in mind this makes a lot of soup! My advice is to half the recipe and you will still have plenty for 6 people.
Don’t forget all your favorite baked potato toppings that make this soup divine.
- sour cream
- chopped bacon or Tastefully Simple’s Bacon Bacon
- and of course cheese well because we are from WI and we do cheese on everything