This salad completes me. It is everything I love about mexican food with an added boost of protein and that guilt about eating a flour tortilla, GONE. This will surly take care of those mexican cravings of yours without all that extra calorie and gluten nonsense. Oh and the dressing. Don’t get me started on the dressing. Tangy and fresh with a little kick.
Along with my quinoa veggie salad with lemon basil dressing, this salad will definitely be on repeat throughout the warmer months. It keeps in the fridge for a good week, you may just have to add a little squeeze of fresh lime to moisten it up a bit. I added a little extra cumin myself because I like it spicy. I also added a bit of extra cilantro to my individual serving because I am the only heavy cilantro lover in my family.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 green onions, diced
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cooke quinoa according to package.(add 2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa, bring to a boil, and simmer until quinoa is tender or about 20 minutes)
- While quinoa is cooking make your dressing.
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime juice and salt. Store in fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked quinoa, peppers, green onions, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, corn and black beans.
- Pour dressing over ingredients and stir to coat.
- Store in fridge for at least an hour and serve cold for best results.
And the sun is still hanging on over in our neck of the woods! Yesterday we played outside all day with some friends–boy do I appreciate the days we get to play outside, bedtime is such a breeze! Tonight we are heading to a cook out and this weekend is supposed to be sunny and in the high 60′s….we’ll take it! I like to really get excited about little victories, being a stay at home mom of 3, and right now the weather is one of them! Happy weekend to you all!