You will need:
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced in long half circles
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups burgundy cooking wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 6 pieces thinly sliced french bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. When butter starts to bubble, add onions and cook until very brown, at least 15 minutes. Add tomato paste and wine. Cook until only a trace of wine remains, about 15 minutes.
Add stock and pepper and simmer 20 minutes, add salt. Preheat broiler Divide soup between 6 warmed, ovenproof bowls. Top each portion with a slice of bread and then cover with cheese. Set bowls on a cookie sheet with sides and put in broiler. Broil until cheese melts and becomes golden brown. Serve warm.